History of the Winamac Old Auto Club
The Winamac Old Auto Club is the oldest car club in the northwest Indiana area. It was founded October 2, 1950 in a garage in Winamac, Indiana by 7 men who shared an interest in antique automobiles.
The club was initially called the Society for Collection and Preservation of Antique Autos (SFCAFOAA). Neil Pietz of Wanatah, IN was elected as the first steering wheel (President) and dues were initially set at $1.00 every quarter. The autos that the first members owned were mostly pre-WWI models and included a Maxwell touring car, a Dodge Brothers roadster, and several Model T Fords. It was decided that only cars made before 1931 would be eligible for membership.
All members who attended the January 8, 1951 meeting were voted as being ‘charter members’ of the club.
These charter members were:
Harold Brown – Star City
Bud Connelly – Winamac
Ed Mendel – Wanatah
Neil Pietz – Wanatah
Robert Oplinger – Valparaiso
(not one of the original 7)
Ernie Small – Knox
Ray Tetzlaff – Winamac
James Stepp of Winamac, one of the original 7 members from October 2, 1950, decided to drop out do to the high price of the dues.
In 1954 the members decided that the name was a little too long and hard to remember. In April of that year the name was officially changed to the Winamac Old Auto Club (WOAC).
Prepared by: Roy Foreman WOAC Historian